Thursday, March 27, 2008

First Impressions.

It's remarkable how words can have such an impact on my life. Especially those well-spoken.
Jane Austen is my literary hero. It is a pleasure to read anything she's ever written and I get lost in not only her stories, but her ability to capture human emotions through the English language. Her stories have been treasured and admired by almost every girl, whether "well-read" or not.
Don't believe me?
Remember that charming gem of a movie starring Alicia Silverstone?
Yes, you guys know what I'm talking about--CLUELESS!
It's based on Jane Austen's novel Emma.
How about... You've Got Mail, Bride and Prejudice(okay that one's easy), Bridget Jones' Diary?
-- Yes all these movies based on the ideas of Miss Austen from about 200 years ago.

In my opinion, the fact that all these chick flicks are based on Early 19th century writings does not discredit Jane's work as "shallow", like the girls that admire it, or plain by any means.
I think this fact merely sheds light on the fact that the basic human emotions of affection, compassion, love, friendship, pride...prejudice are universal traits that cross cultures and generations.
So, find comfort in the fact that even 200 years ago girls struggled to overcome a bad first impression, got caught in match-making fiascos, and met all the WRONG gentleman before finding Mr. Perfect (or more affectionately known as Mr. Darcy, at least in my vocabulary haha)

I plan to use this blog to discuss not only Jane Austen, but every quote, poem, phrase that appeals to my emotions and discuss their meanings :)

First quote is from Bridget Jones' Diary, a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.. but still including the lovely Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy :)

Bridget Jones: look, you seem to go out of your way to make me look like a complete idiot every time I see you. And you really needn’t bother—I already feel like an idiot most of the time anyway.

Mark Darcy: I don’t think you’re an idiot at all. I know there are elements of the ridiculous in you. You’re mother’s pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And you tend to let whatever’s in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequence. I realized that when I met you at the turkey curry buffet- I was unforgivably rude and wearing a reindeer jumper that my mother had given me the day before. But the thing is, what I’m trying to say very inarticulately is that I, in fact, perhaps, despite appearances. I like you, very much. Just as you are."-


Does the last line not melt your heart? May we all find the person who will like us, just the way we are.
and if they come to you wearing a reindeer jumper... make your first date the mall. :)